Link to Online Collection Catalog
Link to OHS HOME page
Link to CONTACT OHS page
Link to OHIO HISTORY STORE website
Link to OHS CALENDAR page
Link to OHS PLACES page
Link to OHS RESOURCES page
Link to the ABOUT OHS page
Link to SEARCH OHS page
Return to OHS Home Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards title banner
link to Preservation Site Index link to Preservation Site Map link to Preservation Staff link to Related Links link to Contact Us page

Award Recipients

Public Education & Awareness Award
2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002
2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996
1995 1994 1993 1992 1991 1990
1989 1988 1987 1986 1985 1984

Preservation Merit Award

2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002
2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996
1995 1994 1993 1992 1991 1990
1989 1988 1987 1986 1985 1984
1983

To download a copy of the Awards nomination form in Adobe format, click here (263k PDF will load in new browser window).


The Public Education and Awareness Award

2007

Cleveland Restoration Society, Lake Erie Graphics, Dependable Painting Company, and Turner Construction Company for the 2007 Celebration of Preservation Calendar.

Betts House Research Center, Cincinnati Preservation Association, Sullebarger Associates, and TiER 1 Performance Solutions for the exhibit Endangered Cincinnati: Can These Buildings Be Saved?

University of Cincinnati’s Center for the Electronic Reconstruction of Historical and Archaeological Sites (CERHAS) for EarthWorks, a virtual reconstruction of Ohio’s monumental earthworks.

Helen Dehlia Gilmore for her longtime devotion to preserving the history of Rossville and the story of the Randolph Slaves.

2006

The Muskingum River Water Trail tells the story of the river from Coshocton to Marietta, reaching a non-traditional audience -- Ohio boaters.

German Village Society and WBNS 10TV for the German Village Visitors Center video.

Village of Glendale for the publication “Historic Preservation Guidelines for the Village of Glendale."

Little Cities of Black Diamonds Council for raising public awareness and understanding of the history and assets of the Little Cities of Black Diamonds region of Athens, Hocking, and Perry counties.

2005

Cleveland Metroparks Canal Way Visitor Center for Neighborhood Walking Tour Series.

Great Lakes Historical Society, Maritime Archeological Survey Team, and ODNR Office of Coastal Management for promoting public awareness of Ohio’s Submerged Cultural Heritage.

Joann Garwood King and Janet Lipstreu for the four-part TV Program "Preserving Medina's Heritage.

Zoar Community Association for the Audio Walking Tour on CD and Map; Three, History of Zoar DVDs.

2004

Cleveland Restoration Society, Western Reserve Historical Society African American and Jewish Archives, Cleveland State University History Department, Shiloh Baptist Church, Sandvick Architects, and Korfant & Mazzone, Inc., of Cleveland for A Celebration of Shiloh Baptist Church.

Ohio City Near West Development Corporation of Cleveland for Those Wonderful Old Houses: A Handbook for Homeowners.

April Sanchez and Larry Gibbs for raising public awareness of Delaware’s historic resources through their articles in the Delaware Gazette.

Washington High School Research History Class of Washington Court House for Finding the Forgotten Soldiers.

2003

Building Ohio: A Traveler’s Guide to Ohio’s Rural Architecture by Jane Ware, published by Orange Frazer Press.

Progress Through Preservation and Glendale Cemetery Association of Akron, for the brochure Glendale Cemetery: An Historic Akron Landscape.

Morristown Historic Preservation Association for the Morristown, Ohio, web site www.morristownohio.com.

2002

Building Ohio: A Traveler's Guide to Ohio's Urban Architecture, by Jane Ware, published by Orange Frazer Press.

Virginia McCormick, of Worthington, for her service as an Ohio Historic Preservation Office volunteer and her contributions to understanding of Ohio's architectural heritage, including the book Educational Architecture in Ohio: From One-Room Schools and Carnegie Libraries to Community Education Villages (Kent State University Press, 2001).

Cincinnati City Planning Department, Historic Conservation Office, for its web site, http://www.rcc.org/cplanning/historic/historic.html.

2001

Bartlow Township Historical Society, Hamler Heritage Society, Henry County Historical Society, and Liberty Center Historical Society for raising public awareness of Henry County's historic resources through their Henry County Driving Tour Day.

Sandra Starner, of Logan, for her commitment to public awareness of the history of Ohio canals in her role as a teacher and educator and through preservation of Hocking Canal Lock No. 12, the Sheep Pen Lock, in Hocking County.

2000

Historic Homes of Olde Towne Committee, of Columbus, for the pictorial guidebook Historic Homes of Olde Towne by Lea Ann Sterling.

Lucas County-Maumee Valley Historical Society, Toledo, for the web site Toledo's Attic: A Virtual Museum of Toledo, Ohio.


1999

The Columbus Historic Resources Commission and Columbus Historic Preservation Office for the Columbus Register of Historic Properties Architectural Guidelines for Maintenance, Design, and New Construction, a new handbook on care of older buildings in Columbus, Ohio.

The Faculty of Waynesburg Elementary School in Waynesburg, Ohio, for their History of the Sandy Valley unit for third grade students.

The Miami County Educational Service Center and John Virgint, coordinator of the gifted and talented program, for the Miami County Courthouse Curriculum, an educational program that teaches elementary, junior, and senior high school students about the 1888 Miami County Courthouse in Troy, Ohio.

1998

Cleveland Heights Landmark Commission, Cleveland Heights, Ohio, for Bungalows, Bungalows, an exhibit and educational program about the history and architecture of the city's bungalows.

1997

Committee for the Preservation of Elizabeth Township, Miami County, for raising public awareness of the importance of preserving Elizabeth Township's rural character and historic resources.

Ohio Archaeological Council, Columbus, for its longtime leadership, support, and service to the cause of preserving Ohio's archaeological heritage.

Gray & Pape, Inc., Cincinnati, for development of two booklets for clients as an outcome of recent archaeological data recovery projects.

Shaker Heights Landmark Commission and the City of Shaker Heights Planning & Development Department, Shaker Heights, for their community education programs.

Salem Preservation Society, Salem, Ohio, for its heritage education programs.

Hocking Valley Museum of Theatrical History, Nelsonville, for the rehabilitation and restoration of Stuart's Opera House.

Toledo Zoo, Toledo, for the adaptive use of the former Lion House as the Carnivore Cafe.

1996

Progress Through Preservation, Akron's citywide historic preservation organization, and Roadway Express Corporation for the videotape Past Achievements, Future Goals.

Cincinnati City Planning Department's Historic Conservation Office for the booklet A Guide to Art and Architecture in Cincinnati's Parks.

Cleveland Heights Landmark Commission for the poster Cleveland Heights Landmarks: Pride of Past, Pride of Place.

Cleveland Restoration Society for the handbook The Boulevard Neighborhoods of Cleveland: Guidelines for Preserving Historic Architecture.

Old House Guild of Sandusky for its 100th Birthday Celebration for the statue Boy With The Boot, official symbol of the City of Sandusky.

Ohio Preservation Alliance for the public awareness event Don't Let the Temple Tumble! held to highlight the reuse potential of the historic Masonic Temple in downtown Columbus.

Wayne National Forest and the U.S. Forest Service's Passport In Time program for researching, restoring, and interpreting the historic Payne Family Cemetery in Wayne National Forest, where several African American Civil War veterans are buried.

1995

Dayton-Montgomery County Park District for the Carriage Hill Farm Visitor Center interpretive exhibit and introductory videotape, A Visit to Carriage Hill Farm.

Dr. Vicki E. Hirsch, Montgomery, for her commitment to public awareness of Montgomery's historic resources in her role as a teacher and educator and through her service on the Montgomery Landmarks Commission.

Preservation Dayton, Inc., for its public education and awareness programs, including its historic district brochures, media kits, and public programs.

1994

Belmont Technical College, St. Clairsville, Ohio, for its Building Preservation Technology program.

Cincinnati City Planning Department's Historic Conservation Office for the booklet Historic Walking Tours of Downtown Cincinnati.

Cincinnati City Planning Department's Historic Conservation Office for the videotape Something Worth Saving: Historic Preservation in Cincinnati.

Cleveland Heights Landmark Commission for increasing public awareness of the city's historic and architectural landmarks through its photography contest.

McPherson Town Neighborhood Development Corporation and City Wide Neighborhood Development Corporation, of Dayton, for Rehabarama, a home show featuring historic houses.

Ohio Preservation Alliance for The Courthouse Reconsidered, a statewide symposium celebrating Ohio's wealth of historic county courthouses, held June 16-17, 1994.

The students of Otsego Middle School's 1992-93 Local History and Citizenship classes for researching, writing, and publishing Grand Rapids & The National Register, a self-guided walking tour of buildings in Grand Rapids, Ohio, which are on the National Register of Historic Places.

1993

Firelands Historical Society, Norwalk, for its West Main Street Historic District Walking Tours program.

Lorain County Visitor's Bureau for its African American Heritage Tour.

1992

Cleveland Chapter, American Institute of Architects, for the book Guide to Cleveland Architecture and videotape A Century of Talents: 100 Years of Cleveland Architecture.

German Village Society, Columbus, for the book Six Generations: The Story of German Village.

Stark Preservation Alliance, Stark County, for its Stark County Sampler tours and guidebooks.

Students of the Lakota School District, Butler County, for raising public awareness of the importance of preserving archaeological resources in Liberty Township.

1991

Cleveland Heights Landmark Commission for creating public awareness of local historic and architectural resources by presenting the public program Pride of Past, Pride of Place.

City of Dayton Department of Planning for fostering sympathetic rehabilitation of local historic and architectural resources through programs including its Historic Design Service and the publication Blueprint for Rehabilitation.

Franklin Brewer Conaway, Chillicothe, for his role in fostering awareness of the importance of preserving Ohio's historic and architectural resources.

Morristown Historic Preservation Association for building public awareness of Morristown's historic and architectural resources and the benefits of preserving them.

Progress Through Preservation, Akron, for quality programs and publications which have contributed to increased awareness of Akron's historic and architectural resources.

Dr. Catherine McQuaid Steiner, Athens, for fostering public awareness of historic preservation through her work as a scholar and educator.

The 2003 Fund Committee, Dayton, for fostering public awareness of the importance of preserving and interpreting the historic and architectural resources associated with Dayton's role in the history of aviation.

1990

The Toledo Blade for exceptional coverage of news and issues affecting the historic, architectural, and archaeological resources of Toledo and Northwest Ohio.

The Delaware Preservation Coalition, of Delaware, Ohio, for exemplary work in building public awareness of issues affecting local historic and architectural resources.

The Sandusky Register for exceptional coverage of news and issues affecting the historic, architectural, and archaeological resources of Sandusky and the Lake Erie Islands.

Judith Borst Smith, photographer, for fostering the preservation of Champaign County's historic and architectural resources through the exhibit Turning Point.

1989

The Cincinnati Fire Museum for the exhibit Old Places - New Faces: Adaptive Reuses of Cincinnati Firehouses.

Cleveland Museum of Natural History for leadership in the preservation of archaeological resources in Cleveland and northeast Ohio.

Janet Ward Druen and Friends of Schiller Park for fostering public interest in the preservation and rehabilitation of historic Schiller Park in the German Village Historic District in Columbus, Ohio.

Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County for fostering interest in the preservation of Hancock County's historic and architectural resources.

Hudson Heritage Association for the publication Hudson: A Survey of Historic Buildings in an Ohio Town.

Ted J. Ligibel for leadership in building public awareness of historic and architectural resources in Toledo and northwest Ohio.

Montgomery County Historical Society for longtime leadership in building public awareness of Montgomery County's historic and architectural resources.

Miriam F. Wood for promoting the preservation and appreciation of our state's covered bridges.

1988

Carol Poh Miller for articles and publications that have increased public awareness of Cleveland's historic and architectural resources.

1987

The German Village Foundation, of Columbus, for its sponsorship of Heritage America, the first national symposium of historic communities.

The Huffman Historic Society, of Dayton, for its children's walking tour program.

Jennifer McCauley for her leadership in the preservation of historic and architectural resources in the city of Wyoming.

1986

The City of Hamilton for the publication Hamilton, Ohio: Its Architecture and History.

Carroll D. Neidhardt, of Marion, for his efforts to improve public awareness of Marion County's heritage.

Jonathan E. Bowen, of Fremont, for his leadership in conducting archaeological investigations in Sandusky, Seneca, and Wyandot counties.

The staff of the Cleveland Plain Dealer for its coverage of Ohio's historic and prehistoric resources and the issues which affect them.

1985

Citizens for a Better Skyline for heightening public awareness of historic preservation issues in Columbus.

J.M. Heilman, Curator of Anthropology at the Dayton Museum of Natural History, for his long-standing commitment to the preservation and interpretation of the 12th century Incinerator Site near Dayton.

Ruth Tap, of Gallipolis, for her longtime leadership in the preservation of Gallia County's heritage.

1984

The Federal Highway Administration and the Ohio Department of Transportation for the Ohio Historic Bridge Inventory, Evaluation, and Preservation Plan.

The staff of Cincinnati's William Howard Taft National Historic Site for fostering exceptional public interest in restoration of the Taft home and property.

Paul Hooge, of Newark, for fostering public interest in archaeology in Licking County.

Columbus Landmarks Foundation for its public education and awareness programs.


Preservation Merit Award

2007

Sen. J. Kirk Schuring and former Rep. Charles E. Calvert for their leadership on behalf of enacting the Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit.

Greater Milford Area Historical Society for its longtime stewardship of Promont at 906 Main Street in Milford, home of Ohio’s forty-third governor, John M. Pattison, from 1879 to 1906.

Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Richard L. Bowen + Associates, and the Ohio School Facilities Commission for the preservation and rehabilitation of John Hay High School at 2075 Stokes Boulevard in Cleveland.

2006

Betts House Research Center, Sullebarger Associates, and TiER 1 Performance Solutions for the exhibit “Lost Cincinnati: Why Buildings Die” and related educational programs.

First Congregational Church and Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects for restoring the sanctuary of Akron’s 1910 First Congregational Church.

Clermont County Park District and Burgess & Niple for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the historic Chilo Lock & Dam #34 Operations Building as the Chilo Lock #34 Park Visitor Center and Museum.

Art Academy of Cincinnati, Design Collective, McGill Smith Punshon, Miller-Valentine Group, and Sullebarger Associates for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the 1923 Rosenthal Printing Company Building and the 1910 Shillito Furniture Warehouse as the Art Academy of Cincinnati.

Burnside Construction Company, Marous Brothers Construction, and Sandvick Architects for rehabilitation and adaptive use of the 1915 Bingham Warehouse at 1278 W. Ninth St. in Cleveland’s Historic Warehouse District.

Nottingham-Spirk Design Associates, City Architecture, and Historic Preservation Consultant Ted Sande for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of historic First Church of Christ, Scientist, at 2200 Overlook Rd. as the Nottingham-Spirk Innovation Center.

Montgomery County Commissioners, Montgomery County Historical Society, Jeff Wray Architects, and Schooley Caldwell Associates for the restoration of the Old Montgomery County Courthouse.

Bill and Roger Koch of JBK Partners for rehabilitation of the 1880s commercial building at 5 E. William St. in downtown Delaware.

To all who contributed to the restoration of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Westcott House, including the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy; Westcott House Foundation; The Turner Foundation; Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects; Schooley Caldwell Associates; Structural Engineer and Architectural Historian Elwin Robison; Landscape Architect Carol Yetken of CYLA Design Associates, Oak Park, IL; Durable Slate Company; and the many skilled artisans and craftspeople and generous donors who made the project possible.

Mill Creek MetroParks and McKay Lodge Fine Arts Conservation Laboratory for restoration of the Volney Rogers Memorial Statue in Mill Creek Park.

2005

Village of Evendale & Friends of Gorman Heritage Farm for Saving Gorman Heritage Farm.

City of Springdale for preserving Old St. Mary's Cemetery.

Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education Center, Columbus / McKay Lodge Fine Arts Conservation Laboratory, Oberlin for Preserving and Restoring the Emerson Burkhart Mural, Music.

Delhi Township Board of Trustees / Preservation Architecture Services Team for rebuilding and restoring Stone Springhouse, Delhi Township, Hamilton County.

Village of Columbus Grove / Columbus Grove Pool Society / Poggemeyer Design Group for rehabilitation of the Columbus Grove Pool, Columbus Grove.

Downtown Lima, Inc. / LJB Inc. / Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects for rehabilitation and Adaptive Use of the 1887 Lima Train Depot.

Miami Conservancy District for rehabilitation of 1916 Miami Conservancy District Office Building, Dayton.

American Cancer Society, Hamilton County Unit, Ohio Division / GBBN Architects for rehabilitation and Adaptive Use of the Former Cincinnati Ursuline Academy Building as the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge and Cancer Resource Center, Cincinnati.

660 Lincoln, LLC / Neyer Architects & Engineers for rehabilitation and Adaptive Use of the the Historic Ford Factory, Cincinnati.

General Services Administration / Westlake Reed Leskosky / Dick Corporation / Barber & Hoffman, Inc. / McKay Lodge Fine Arts Conservation Laboratory for rehabilitation of the Metzenbaum U.S. Courthouse, Cleveland.

Sigma Chi Foundation / Cole + Russell Architects, Inc. for restoration of the Sigma Chi Founding Site, Oxford.

2004

Carolyn Caldwell of Salem, Ohio, for her contributions to the preservation of Salem’s historic and architectural resources.

Dave and Erica Brownstein of Columbus for the rehabilitation of the 1895 Peter Sells House at 755 Dennison Ave. in Columbus’s Near North Side (Victorian Village) Historic District.

Merle Hamilton, Oliver Hamilton, Marion County Historical Society and Quality Masonry Co., Inc. of Marion, Ohio, for preserving and restoring the 1897 Linn School in Marion County.

Jan Thaler, Peggy Evans, David Thaler, and Nat McCormick, AIA for preserving and restoring the 1894 Lupton Block at 326-330 Second Ave. in the Gallipolis Public Square & Garden Lots Historic District.

Frontier Community Services of Chillicothe, Fifth/Third Community Development Corporation of Columbus, Asebrook & Co. Architects of Columbus, and LW Associates of Ashville for adaptive use of the former Highland Egg and Poultry Company Building at 135 N. West St. in Hillsboro.

Springfield Housing Partners II, Ltd., Alliant Capital, Asebrook & Co. Architects of Columbus, LW Associates of Ashville, and the City of Springfield for adaptive use of the Thomas Manufacturing Company Warehouse at 360 S. Limestone St. in Springfield.

Walnut Hills Redevelopment Foundation and Miller Valentine Group / MV Communities for rehabilitation of the 1904 Alexandra Apartments at 921 E. William Howard Taft Rd. in Cincinnati.

Renovation and expansion of the Taft Museum of Art at 316 Pike St. in Cincinnati.

Hyatt Hotels Corporation, LR Development Company, Marous Brothers Construction, Inc., and Sandvick Architects for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of The Arcade in downtown Cleveland as the Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade.

Hamilton County Facilities Department for stewardship of the Post-Times Star Building at 800 Broadway in Cincinnati.


2003

Joyce A. Davis, of Conneaut, for her longtime stewardship of the Conneaut Works, a prehistoric village site in Conneaut, Ohio.

Restoration of the William Holmes McGuffey House Museum, an 1833 National Historic Landmark on the campus of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

Tallmadge Historical Society for restoring the belfry of the Town Hall and Academy Building on Tallmadge Circle in Tallmadge, Ohio.

Wood County Commissioners for preserving and restoring the 1896 Wood County Courthouse and for preserving and restoring the 1902 Wood County Jail and adapting it for use as a county records center and law library.

Ronald Cornell Faniro, Architects, Inc., of Youngstown, and Youngstown City Council for restoring the 1914 Youngstown City Council Chamber.

Bruce D. Robinson Architecture • Design, of Cincinnati, for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the 1915 and 1917 Barlow Motors Building in Cincinnati’s Over-the-Rhine Historic District.


2002

Miriam S. Zachman, for her longtime devotion to preservation of Ripley's historic and architectural resources.

Dienstberger House Committee, for saving the c. 1861 Dienstberger House at 222 N. Washington St. in Delphos.

Relocation and restoration of the Westerville Truss Bridge over Alum Creek.

Preservation and adaptive use of the 1881 Engine House & Lockup at 260 Chapman St. in Waynesville as the Waynesville Interprestive Center.

Payne & Payne Builders Inc., of Chardon, for preservation and adaptive use of A.B. Carlson's General Store at 10750 Mayfield Rd. in Fowlers Mill.

Preservation and rehabilitation of the Robinson Music Company Building at 141 N. Fourth St. in Steubenville.

Preservation and adaptive use of the United Motors Company Building at 4019 Prospect Ave. in Cleveland.

Bellaire Housing Partners, Ltd., for preservation and adaptive use of the Zweig Building at 3396 Belmont Ave. in Bellaire.

St. Mary Development Corporation, of Dayton, for preservation and rehabilitation of the Salem Grand Building at 501-523 Salem Ave. and the Deluxe Apartments at 729 W. Grand Ave. in Dayton as Grand Place.


2001

Martin Hauserman, Archivist, for his efforts in salvaging, preserving, and indexing over 10,000 vin-tage blueprints of pre-1935 buildings in Cleveland as an archival resource for the people of Cleveland.

Jonathan Sandvick, of Sandvick Architects, Inc., for his work in preserving the historic and architectural resources of Cleveland.

Sandvick Architects, Inc., for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the 1911 Otis Terminal Warehouse at W. Ninth St. and St. Clair Ave. in Cleveland as the Bridgeview Apartments.

City of Cleveland Heights for the preservation and restoration of the Superior Schoolhouse at 14391 Superior Rd. in Cleveland Heights as the Cleveland Heights Historical Center at Superior Schoolhouse.

Kappa Kappa Gamma for preservation and restoration of the 1852 Snowden House at 530 E. Town St. in Columbus as the Heritage Museum of Kappa Kappa Gamma.

Delaware County Commissioners for preservation and adaptive use of the 1906 Carnegie library at 101 N. Sandusky St. in Delaware as county offices.

Horn Mound Erosion Control Project Team for their commitment to the Horn Mound Erosion Control Project in Pickaway County.

R. Kevin Harper, Waynesville village manager, for his leadership in the preservation of Waynesville's historic and architectural resources.

Zoar Community Association for preserving and rehabilitating the 1887 Zoar Village Town Hall. located on the west side of Main St. between Second and Third Sts, in Zoar, Ohio.


2000

Jared Mansfield Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), for preservation of the World War I ‘Doughboy’ monument on the square in downtown Mansfield.

Dale Bridenbaugh, of Pandora, for the preservation and restoration of the 1889 one-room Bridenbaugh District No. 3 Riley Township School in Putnam County.

The Union Institute, of Cincinnati, for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the 1916 Gruen Watch Company Building at 401 E. McMillan St. and the 1921 Procter & Collier Building at 440 E. McMillan St. in Cincinnati.

Dennison Railroad Depot Museum, Dennison, for preservation and adaptive use of the 1873 Pennsylvania Railroad Depot on Center St. as the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum.


1999

Betty D. Campbell, of Ripley, Ohio, for her longtime devotion to preserving the historic resources of Ripley and Brown County, Ohio.

The Cincinnati Railroad Club, for the rehabilitation of Tower A, the control center of the 1933 Cincinnati Union Terminal, in Cincinnati, Ohio, now open to the public and used as a meeting place and library for railroad enthusiasts.

Environmental Systems Research Institute, of St. Louis, Missouri, for its support of the Ohio Historic Preservation Office's Geographic Information Systems project.

Janie S. Jenkins, of Boardman, Ohio, for her longtime stewardship of the Southern Park Stable, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and for donating it to the Boardman Park District in order to ensure its preservation.

Dr. Sheila A. Fisher, of Canton, Ohio, for recreating the 19th century interiors of the Saxton-McKinley House, home of Ida Saxton McKinley and now home of the National First Ladies' Library.

The Glenwood-Parkwood Boulevards Association, of Mansfield, Ohio, organized in 1906, for its efforts to preserve the historic and architectural resources of this early 20th century neighborhood.

The Junior League of Columbus for the preservation and restoration of the Kelton House at 586 East Town Street in Columbus, Ohio.

Claudette L. Mejean and the citizens of Magnolia, Ohio, for preserving and restoring the circa 1810 Isaac Miller Tavern in Magnolia, Ohio.

The Miami County Commissioners for the restoration of the 1888 Miami County Courthouse in Troy, Ohio.

The Ohio Department of Transportation Office of Technical Services and Office of Environmental Services for their support of efforts to automate information on historic properties and archaeological sites in Ohio contained in the records of the Ohio Historic Inventory and the Ohio Archaeological Inventory.

Ruth F. Parker, of Sandusky, Ohio, for her longtime commitment to historic preservation in the Sandusky area.

The Plymouth Greenlawn Cemetery Chapel Restoration Committee, for restoring the circa 1880 Eastlake style Greenlawn Cemetery Chapel in Plymouth, Ohio.

The restoration of the Putnam Manse at 425 Woodlawn Avenue in Zanesville, Ohio's Putnam Historic District by Kathleen and Bartlett Hagemeyer.

Dan Seckel and Mansfield Reformatory Preservation Society, for their efforts to preserve and reuse the 1885 Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield, Ohio.

Kyra L. Dollarhide, of Granville, Ohio, for her work as superintendent of the Springfield Rehabilitation Project, which has rehabilitated turn-of-the-century houses in Springfield's South Fountain Avenue Historic District for low and moderate income families.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the Olmsted Center for Landscape Preservation, Brookline, MA, for restoring the Wright Memorial in Fairborn, Ohio, built between 1922 and 1940 as a public tribute to the Wright brothers.


1998

City of Marietta Ohio, for the Front Street Revitalization Project in the Marietta Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

City of Toledo Department of Neighborhoods, Toledo, Ohio for its exemplary commitment to using historic preservation as a tool for downtown and neighborhood revitalization.

Grand Rapids Town Hall Board of Control for restoration and exemplary stewardship of the 1898 Grand Rapids Town Hall on West Front Street in Grand Rapids, Ohio.

The Holmes County Commissioners for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the 1878 Holmes County Jail and Sheriff's Residence in Millersburg, Ohio.

Marion Senior Housing Limited Partnership for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the 1924 Hotel Harding at 267 West Center Street in Marion, Ohio, as the Harding Centre.

McLaughlin Camp 12, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, for restoring the 1881 Richland County Soldiers' Monument on the Public Square in Mansfield, Ohio.

Old West End Association of Toledo, Ohio, for its longtime commitment to preserving the historic and architectural resources of Toledo's Old West End Historic District.

Olde Towne East Neighborhood Association, of Columbus, Ohio, for its longtime commitment to preserving the historic and architectural resources of Olde Towne East and working to maintain its cultural and economic diversity.

Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County for restoring the Corryville Branch Library, a Carnegie library opened in 1907 at 2802 Vine Street in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Shaker Square Area Development Corporation for rehabilitating the historic Ludlow Gables Apartments at South Woodland and Ludlow Roads in Cleveland, Ohio.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Fairborn, Ohio, for the preservation and adaptive use of Building 23, built in 1934 as a static test laboratory for larger aircraft at Wright Field.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Fairborn, Ohio, for the preservation and adaptive use of Building 31, built in 1927 as the aircraft assembly hanger for Wright Field.


1997

Famicos Foundation, Cleveland, and the Cleveland Department of Community Development for rehabilitation of the Crawford-Tilden Apartments.

John Foos Manor Antique Gallery and Bed & Breakfast, Springfield, for preservation and rehabilitation of the John Foos House in Springfield's East High Street Historic District.

Lane Public Library, Hamilton, for the rehabilitation and restoration of the Lane Public Library at N. Third and Buckeye in Hamilton, Ohio.

Reynolds and Reynolds Company, Jeff Wray Architects, Inc., and Reed Doran Associates, for rehabilitation and restoration of the Ludlow and Wurlitzer buildings in Dayton's Terra- Cotta Historic District.


1996

Sara Beth Fisher, of CoIumbus for leadership in the preservation of historic and architectural resources in Columbus.

Marion Cemetery Association, Michael Schertzer, and William Schertzer, of Marion, Ohio, for restoring the historic Marion Cemetery Receiving Vault.

GE Lighting, Nela Park, for corporate commitment to preservation of its historic Nela Park facility in East Cleveland, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Restoration of the Sandusky State Theater, a downtown movie palace of the 1920s, as a performing arts center for Sandusky and the Erie County area.

Rehabilitation and restoration of the Ohio State Capitol complex in downtown Columbus, a National Historic Landmark.

Restoration of the Plum Street Temple in downtown Cincinnati, a National Historic Landmark significant for its association with the origins of Reform Judaism in America and for its Moorish Revival style architecture.


1995

Lima-Allen County Regional Planning Commission for its innovative inventory of the area's historic and architectural resources accessible to the public on CD-Rom.

Malabar Farm State Park, Lucas, for reconstruction of the barn at author Louis Bromfield's Malabar Farm.

Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area, Brecksville, for the Everett Historic District rehabilitation.

Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area, Brecksville, for development of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail.

Wilbur & Deborah Osborne, of Dover, for preserving the Katherine Cooper House in Dover by acquiring, moving, and rehabilitating it.

Antioch College for the rehabilitation of South Hall and Pennell House, two 19th century landmark buildings on the Antioch campus in Yellow Springs, Ohio.

The City of Massillon and Scioto Development Company for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the Ideal Department Store building in downtown Massillon as senior citizen housing.

The Hamilton County Board of Commissioners for rehabilitation and adaptive use of the Victorian-era Alms & Doepke Department Store Building in Cincinnati's Over-the-Rhine Historic District as county offices.

Metropolitan Park District of the Toledo Area for restoration of the Miami & Erie Canal in Providence Metropark.

Miami Township Trustees, Miamisburg, for restoration of the Cottman/ Baker Farmhouse.

Ellie Damm, of Sandusky, for her many years of state and local leadership in historic preservation.

Margaret A. Dankworth, St. Clairsville, for her work to preserve the National Road community of Morristown and other historic places in Belmont County.

Robert C. Gaede, FAIA, Cleveland, architect and a leading advocate for the conservation of Ohio's architectural heritage for more than 40 years.

Members of the Peters Family of Lancaster for their many years of devotion to preserving the 1835 Reese-Peters House in Lancaster's Square 13 Historic District.

Elsie O. Snyder, Akron Realtor, for rehabilitating more than 20 buildings in Akron's older neighborhoods.


1994

The City of Dayton for rehabilitating the historic commercial building at 1024-1028 West Third Street in the Wright/Dunbar Historic District as the Innerwest Priority Board Site Office.

Nancy B. Hoy for her leadership in preserving the historic and architectural resources of Marietta and the Washington County area.

Marietta College for the preservation and adaptive use of Andrews Hall, a Marietta College landmark, as the Student Activities Center.

Project Recovery for the revitalization of Fort Recovery's historic downtown business district.

Mary R. Tolbert for her longtime devotion to preserving Mount Oval, her Pickaway County family home.

Winton Place Development Corporation for its housing rehabilitation and paint programs, through which volunteers are preserving and restoring the historic character of Winton Place.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of Building 32.


1993

Belville Mining Company, Ironton, for exemplary compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.

Central Ohio Council, Boy Scouts of America, for preservation of the Falling Rock Boy Scout Camp Metal Post-Truss Bridge in Licking County.

Cincinnati Preservation Association and Hamilton County Commissioners for restoration of the Hamilton County Memorial Building, Cincinnati.

Columbus Public Schools for rehabilitation and adaptive use of Building 110 at Fort Hayes in Columbus as the Arts and Science Building.

Sen. Richard H. Finan, Cincinnati, for his leadership and support in the restoration of the Ohio Statehouse and Senate Building.

Holmes Limestone Company, Berlin, for exemplary compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.

Lagonda Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) for their longtime devotion to preservation and restoration of the Pennsylvania House at 1311 West Main Street in Springfield, Ohio.

Lakewood Historical Society for restoration of the Nicholson House in Lakewood, Ohio.

Licking County Archaeology and Landmarks Society for protecting and preserving Licking County's archaeological resources and developing public awareness of their significance through exemplary programs and publications.

NorthRiver Development Corporation for rehabilitation and adaptive use of the Vistula Building, Toledo.

Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County for preservation and restoration of The Stone Academy in Zanesville's Putnam Historic District.

R & F Coal Company, Cadiz, for exemplary compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.


1992

City of Cincinnati, Board of Park Commissioners, for restoration of the landmark Ault Park Pavilion.

The rehabilitation of 52 North Sandusky Street in downtown Delaware, Ohio.

Steven B. and Deborah E. Hann for rehabilitating the landmark Howard House at 507 East Main Street in McConnelsville as the Howard House Restaurant.

Rehabilitation of the landmark Morris and Dorothy Haskins Ariel Theatre in Gallipolis as a community arts facility.

Hon. Ralph S. Regula, Canton

Science Hill Historical Society for restoring the 19th century Science Hill School in Stark County.

The Soldiers Memorial Parkway Association for restoring and maintaining the Soldiers Memorial Parkway and McKinley Memorial Parkway in Fremont, Ohio.


1991

Bea Constantine and the Canton Palace Theater Association for preserving and restoring Canton's 1926 Palace Theater.

Crown Equipment Corporation, New Bremen, for its commitment to the preservation of New Bremen's historic and architectural resources.

Judith L. Kitchen, Columbus, for her devotion to the preservation of our state's historic, architectural, and archaeological resources, and as an active volunteer, author, educator, and professional.

The rehabilitation and restoration of the landmark Mahoning County Courthouse in Youngstown, Ohio, 4M Company, Architects.

The Museum Center Design Team for the rehabilitation of Cincinnati Union Terminal, a National Historic Landmark, as the Museum Center at Cincinnati Union Terminal.

Ross County Commissioners for longtime stewardship of the Lucy Webb Hayes House in Chillicothe, Ohio.

Beverly Tonkens and the late Gerald B. Tonkens for stewardship of the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Tonkens House in Cincinnati, Ohio.


1990

Aviation Trail Incorporated, Dayton, Ohio, for preserving and restoring the historic Wright Cycle Shop at 22 South Williams Street in Dayton, and promoting knowledge of the Miami Valley's role in aviation history.

Don Cooke, Navarre, Ohio, for his continuing dedication to the preservation of historic and architectural resources in Stark County.

Melba L. Hunt, Kettering, Ohio, for her continuing dedication to the preservation of historic and architectural resources in Kettering and Montgomery County.

Thomas A. Jorgensen, of Cleveland, Ohio, for his creative leadership in the effort to save the landmark Society for Savings Building on Public Square in Cleveland.

Offenberger and White, Incorporated, of Marietta, Ohio, for preserving and rehabilitating the Pattin House at 521 Fort Street in Marietta's Harmar Historic District.

The Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, for rehabilitating the National Historic Landmark Colonel Charles Young House in Wilberforce, Ohio.

Freda Henneberger for protecting the Henneberger Mound in Ross County for over fifty years and Carol Recob and the Henneberger Heirs for transferring ownership of the mound to The Archaeological Conservancy, ensuring that it will be preserved.

The Dayton Museum of Natural History for the preservation and interpretation of the prehistoric village site SunWatch.

Tiffin Historic Trust for exemplary programs and long-standing commitment to the preservation of historic and architectural resources in Tiffin.

The Harriet Taylor Upton Association for saving the home of Harriet Taylor Upton, a national leader in the movement for women's suffrage, at 380 Mahoning Avenue in Warren.

Walnut Hills Redevelopment Foundation for rehabilitating the historic Cummins School Building in Cincinnati.

Albert Blakeslee Wolfe, of Cambridge, Massachusetts, for his support for the identification and preservation of historic places in Washington County.


1989

The Archaeological Conservancy for preserving prehistoric archaeological sites in Ohio through acquisition.

Agnes Thompson Bergman for leadership in the preservation of historic and architectural resources in Genoa, Ohio.

Board of Stark County Commissioners for fostering the preservation of historic, architectural, and archaeological resources in Stark County by allocating funds for an innovative grant program.

Eddie L. Brosie for rescuing and rehabilitating Oakwood, the historic G.W. Penney mansion in Newark, Ohio.

Ohio Society Daughters of the American Revolution and its local chapters for early leadership in the preservation of historic and architectural resources throughout Ohio.

Ohio Wesleyan University for the rehabilitation of historic Austin Hall as an innovative residence for students and older adults.

Osnaburg Historical Society for rehabilitation of the historic Werner Inn at 131 East Nassau Street in East Canton, Ohio.

Howard and Marcie Weisenborn for preserving and rehabilitating historic properties in Montgomery and Miami counties.

Charles Willits for giving freely of his time and expertise over many years to guide the rehabilitation of countless historic properties in Northeast Ohio.


1988

Berry Brothers for preserving the building and equipment of the historic Berry Brothers Bolt Works at 350 East First Avenue in Columbus.

The Canal Winchester Area Historical Society for exemplary leadership in the preservation of local historic and architectural resources.

The Canton Preservation Society for the work its members have done to preserve Canton's historic and architectural resources.

The Citizens Arcade Alliance, of Springfield, for the extraordinary commitment of its members in their fight to save the 1883 Springfield Arcade.

John A. Gerding for his leadership in the preservation of archaeological resources.

The Hamilton Community Foundation for the restoration of the Lane-Hooven House at 319 North Third Street in Hamilton, Ohio.

The rehabilitation of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church at 684 South Third Street in Columbus's German Village Historic District.

Ardath Sanders for her devotion to the preservation of historic and architectural resources in Strongsville, Ohio.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles G. Wingett for preserving an Adena mound at The Plains, near Athens, Ohio, by donating it to the Athens County Historical Society and Museum.


1987

Bricker & Eckler, Attorneys at Law, for the rehabilitation of the Old Post Office on Capitol Square in Columbus.

Ferdinand E. Freytag for promoting the appreciation of fine architecture in Sidney, Ohio, and throughout the state.

The trustees, faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends of Kenyon College who have, for decades, respectfully preserved and maintained the buildings and environment of Kenyon's historic campus in Gambier, Ohio.

The members of the Lancaster Camp Ground Historical Society for giving freely of their time to save the Hotel Woodside and nominate the Lancaster Camp Ground Historic District to the National Register of Historic Places.

The rehabilitation of Cincinnati's Netherland Plaza Hotel

The rehabilitation of the historic Pythian Theater in Columbus as the Martin Luther King, Jr., Center for Cultural and Performing Arts.

Judy Ruthven, of Georgetown, Ohio, for her leadership in the preservation of historic and architectural resources in Brown County and throughout the state.

Dr. Jeanne Willis and Dr. Harold Hancock for organizing the restoration of the Philomathean Room in Towers Hall at Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio.

Doreen Neuhoff Uhas for her dedication to the preservation of historic and architectural resources in the Ohio State University area and throughout the city of Columbus.


1986

Helen J. Vanmeter, of Chillicothe, for longtime leadership in the preservation of historic and architectural resources in South Central Ohio and throughout the state.

Hilda Bentley, of Perrysburg, for longtime leadership in the preservation of historic and architectural resources in the Maumee Valley and throughout the state.

The Bernstein Group, of Columbus, for the rehabilitation of Springfield's old City Building as The Marketplace.

Old Cleveland Properties for adapting The Hat Factory, at 1235 W. Sixth St. in Cleveland's Warehouse District, to use as loft apartments.

The "men, women and dogs" whose talents brought about the restoration of the James Thurber House in Columbus, Ohio.


1985

The developers of McKinley Center in Canton, Ohio, for the rehabilitation of old Canton McKinley High School as an innovative health care facility.

The Western Reserve Historical Society for restoration and interpretation of the buildings which constitute Western Reserve Village of Hale Farm in Bath, Ohio.

Rubbermaid, Inc., of Wooster, for the rehabilitation of Wooster's historic Walnut Street School as a community arts. center


1984

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Ohio Department of Development, and Licking County Engineer Jerry Wray for their roles in preserving Licking County's Modified King Post Bridge, the state's only remaining bridge of its type.


1983

The l.T. Verdin Company of Cincinnati for the restoration of St. Paul's Church and its adaptive use as St. Paul's Church Mart.

U.S. Rep. John F. Seiberling, of Akron, for his leadership in preserving our nation's heritage.

The Old House Guild of Sandusky for providing leadership in the preservation of Sandusky's heritage.

Bank One of Dayton for innovative financing of local historic preservation projects.


Thank you for your interest in The Ohio Historical Society!

Back to Top


HOME || CONTACT

OHIO HISTORY STORE || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || ABOUT || SEARCH || PRIVACY POLICY
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/histpres/programs/awardrec.html || Last modified Thursday, 20-Jul-2006 07:43:34 Eastern Daylight Time
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved.