2002 Ohio Historic Preservation Award RecipientsThe Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards have been presented annually since 1983 on the basis of nominations from throughout the state. Awards are presented in two categories: Public Education and Awareness, and Preservation Merit.
Public Education and Awareness AwardThe Public Education and Awareness Award is for increasing interest in historic preservation. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, media, newsletters, publications, interpretation, original research, educational programs, and special events which have substantially increased public understanding and awareness of historic preservation at the local, regional, or state level. Our 2002 recipients are:
Building Ohio: A Traveler's Guide to Ohio's Urban Architecture, by Jane Ware, published by Orange Frazer Press.
Virginia McCormick, of Worthington, for her service as an Ohio Historic Preservation Office volunteer and her contributions to understanding of Ohio's architectural heritage, including the book Educational Architecture in Ohio: From One-Room Schools and Carnegie Libraries to Community Education Villages (Kent State University Press, 2001).
Cincinnati City Planning Department, Historic Conservation Office, for its web site, http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cdap/pages/-3662-/ (formerly http://www.rcc.org/cplanning/historic/historic.html).
Preservation Merit AwardThe Preservation Merit Award is for preserving Ohio's prehistory, history, architecture, or culture. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, restoring, rehabilitating, or otherwise preserving an important building or site, longtime stewardship of a property, promoting protective legislation, funding preservation projects, offering leadership, support, or service, and furthering preservation at the local, regional, or state level. Our 2002 recipients are:
Miriam S. Zachman, for her longtime devotion to preservation of Ripley's historic and architectural resources.
Dienstberger House Committee, for saving the c. 1861 Dienstberger House at 222 N. Washington St. in Delphos.
Relocation and restoration of the Westerville Truss Bridge over Alum Creek.
Preservation and adaptive use of the 1881 Engine House & Lockup at 260 Chapman St. in Waynesville as the Waynesville Interprestive Center.
Payne & Payne Builders Inc., of Chardon, for preservation and adaptive use of A.B. Carlson's General Store at 10750 Mayfield Rd. in Fowlers Mill.
Preservation and rehabilitation of the Robinson Music Company Building at 141 N. Fourth St. in Steubenville.
Preservation and adaptive use of the United Motors Company Building at 4019 Prospect Ave. in Cleveland.
Bellaire Housing Partners, Ltd., for preservation and adaptive use of the Zweig Building at 3396 Belmont Ave. in Bellaire.
St. Mary Development Corporation, of Dayton, for preservation and rehabilitation of the Salem Grand Building at 501-523 Salem Ave. and the Deluxe Apartments at 729 W. Grand Ave. in Dayton as Grand Place.