Link to Online Collection Catalog
Link to OHS HOME page
Link to CONTACT OHS page
Link to OHIO HISTORY STORE website
Link to OHS CALENDAR page
Link to OHS PLACES page
Link to OHS RESOURCES page
Link to the ABOUT OHS page
Link to SEARCH OHS page
Return to OHS Home Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards title banner
link to Preservation Site Index link to Preservation Site Map link to Preservation Staff link to Related Links link to Contact Us page

2010 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award Recipients

BPC Development, Bedo LLC, City Architecture and Ted Sande, for the preservation and rehabilitation of the Rogers Building and the Liberty Building as the University Lofts

Officially laid out in 1815, Euclid Avenue, the main street of Cleveland, was the first recorded highway in the Western Reserve. Over the succeeding century, Euclid Avenue became the commercial and financial center of Cleveland, linking Public Square to University Circle and the suburbs beyond. The Euclid Avenue Historic District comprises dozens of architecturally significant buildings built during this century of tremendous growth, and today, these historic buildings are the reason for new interest in Euclid Avenue. An early component of Collegetown, a mixed-use redevelopment incorporating significant historic rehabilitation, the University Lofts project has been a catalyst in rebuilding historic Euclid Avenue. The 83,000 square foot, $10 million project involves historic rehabilitation and new infill construction. Two classic early 20th century commercial buildings were renovated: the 1916 Scott A. Rogers Building, with a handsome glazed terra-cotta fašade; and the 1930 Liberty Building, both of which originally housed automobile dealers and other commercial tenants. The terracotta and elegant brick and stone detailing were carefully restored. Existing ornamental details were repaired and rebuilt, and unsympathetic windows and storefronts were replaced with new units to match historic profiles and configurations.

The rehabilitated buildings are complimented by a striking new contemporary addition, faced with a glass and metal panel exterior that takes its cues for proportion and detail from the adjacent historic buildings. The new structure establishes a precedent for quality infill of existing vacant lots, helping fill in the "missing tooth" of a former surface parking lot.

A significant challenge to the re-use of these buildings was their relatively small footprints coupled with differences in floor elevations that made connections between the buildings difficult. A creative layout connects the buildings with thoughtful approaches to meet building code and egress requirements. Preservation of the historic warehouse portions of the buildings was complimented by a design approach that highlighted the exposed concrete frame of the structure.

The project also promotes a sustainable, low-impact, pedestrian-friendly lifestyle and boasts numerous green features such as reflective roofing materials and energy-efficient appliances and lighting. University Lofts is a lively mixed-use development that helps preserve the history of Euclid Avenue while reinvigorating Cleveland's main street.

2010 Awards 
Presentation Image. Click to view slides of the awards presentation.

Click here to return to the list of 2010 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.

Click here for a list of past Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.


Thank you for your interest in The Ohio Historical Society!

Back to Top


HOME || CONTACT

OHIO HISTORY STORE || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || ABOUT || SEARCH || PRIVACY POLICY
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/histpres/programs/ard/2010/ard2010-07.html || Last modified Wednesday, 10-Nov-2010 10:53:52 Eastern Standard Time
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved.