Link to Online Collection Catalog
Link to OHS HOME page
Link to CONTACT OHS page
Link to OHIO HISTORY STORE website
Link to OHS CALENDAR page
Link to OHS PLACES page
Link to OHS RESOURCES page
Link to the ABOUT OHS page
Link to SEARCH OHS page
Return to OHS Home Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards title banner
link to Preservation Site Index link to Preservation Site Map link to Preservation Staff link to Related Links link to Contact Us page

2010 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award Recipients

Lebanon House, Inc., Bates Development, BB Construction and Sullebarger Associates, for the preservation and rehabilitation of the Golden Lamb

Lebanon House Inc., a family partnership of William, Rob and Virginia Portman, recently carried out a $4 million-dollar rehabilitation of the Golden Lamb, famous in this part of the world as the oldest continuously operated hotel in our state. A four-story vernacular red-brick building with a two-story white columned portico, this beloved landmark stands at the intersection of Broadway and Main Street in Lebanon and serves as the hub of civic and social life in this county seat town.

The business was established in 1803, and the current building was constructed in 1815 as a six-bay, two-story building fronting Broadway Street. During nearly two centuries of operation, many distinguished guests have enjoyed the hospitality of The Golden Lamb, including a dozen U.S. presidents, the great orator Daniel Webster and Charles Dickens. As the business thrived, new additions were made at frequent intervals. In 1926, the hotel was purchased by Robert H. Jones. He and his wife Virginia launched an extensive remodeling, adding the colonial-style porch to the front and furnishing the interior with antiques, especially Shaker furniture. The Portmans, who are the grandchildren of the Joneses, are devoted stewards of this unique historic place, which has remained in their family for over 80 years.

Using the incentives of both the federal and state tax credits, the current rehabilitation of the Golden Lamb was the first major upgrade since the 1930s. The work, which had to be completed in four phases while the business continued to operate, included masonry cleaning, repointing, and a carefully conceived water repellent treatment to protect the soft brick. All the windows on the front portion of the building were either repaired or replaced in-kind with custom-made wood windows to match the existing. This job was made more challenging by 4 different windows configurations, 11 different muntin profiles, and openings of varied sizes due to construction at so many different times. Rear windows, which were beyond repair, were replaced with new windows to match the old, along with storm windows for energy efficiency. Unsightly window air conditioners were eliminated by a new HVAC system and the electrical and plumbing systems and kitchen were also renovated.

The Portman siblings, as third-generation owners of The Golden Lamb, have demonstrated a commitment to preserving Ohio history, through investment in this project and careful rehabilitation of this very historic building.

2010 Awards 
Presentation Image. Click to view slides of the awards presentation.

Click here to return to the list of 2010 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.

Click here for a list of past Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.


Thank you for your interest in The Ohio Historical Society!

Back to Top


HOME || CONTACT

OHIO HISTORY STORE || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || ABOUT || SEARCH || PRIVACY POLICY
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/histpres/programs/ard/2010/ard2010-06.html || Last modified Wednesday, 10-Nov-2010 10:53:53 Eastern Standard Time
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved.