Link to Online Collection Catalog
Link to OHS HOME page
Link to CONTACT OHS page
Link to OHIO HISTORY STORE website
Link to OHS CALENDAR page
Link to OHS PLACES page
Link to OHS RESOURCES page
Link to the ABOUT OHS page
Link to SEARCH OHS page
Return to OHS Home Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards title banner
link to Preservation Site Index link to Preservation Site Map link to Preservation Staff link to Related Links link to Contact Us page

2009 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award Recipients

Preservation Merit Award to Woman’s Art Club of Cincinnati and the Woman’s Art Club Foundation of Cincinnati for rehabilitation and adaptive use of the 1924 Resthaven Barn at 6980 Cambridge Avenue in Mariemont as the Woman’s Art Club Cultural Center.


This project highlights a success story of rescuing a historic building from demolition, redefining its use, and turning it into a viable community asset. The 1924 Resthaven Barn was part of Cincinnati philanthropist Mary Emery’s plan and eminent town planner John Nolen’s design for the Village of Mariemont. The village, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, gained National Historic Landmark status in 2007 for its significance as a planned community. The Resthaven barn is situated on 26 acres and was part of a model farm and dairy that operated from 1924 to 1940. When farm operations ceased, the Village of Mariemont took over the buildings to accommodate the Village’s Maintenance Department which used the facility to house their large equipment and offices until 2006. The Mariemont Preservation Foundation conducted a village wide survey of its residents and the majority response was to save the building but with an estimated cost of over $1million dollars for renovations the barn was under threat of demolition unless a purchaser for the building could be found.

The Woman’s Art Club of Cincinnati, founded in 1892, was looking for gallery space and headquarters and recognized the possibility of converting the 10,000 square foot barn into an arts center with a permanent gallery and artists’ studios. The club purchased the barn in late 2006.

Maintaining as much of the original elements and details as possible, architect John Grier and the Hudepohl Construction Company worked with the art club to carry out the work, which has resulted in a functional gallery and work spaces, as well as offices that retain the open space character of the barn and many original features.

Funding for the project was secured from the state of Ohio, local foundations and the local community for this extensive renovation project. The involvement of community volunteers including high school seniors and Boy Scouts has also been notable.

As part of a two-phase project, the Woman’s Art Club of Cincinnati Cultural Center opened in April 2008 with the completion of a main gallery for exhibits, artist studios, and rooms for art classes, as well as a much-needed community meeting facility.

2009 Awards 
Presentation Image. Click to view slides of the awards presentation.

Click here to return to the list of 2009 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.

Click here for a list of past Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.


Thank you for your interest in The Ohio Historical Society!

Back to Top


HOME || CONTACT

OHIO HISTORY STORE || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || ABOUT || SEARCH || PRIVACY POLICY
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/histpres/programs/ard/2009/ard2009-11.html || Last modified Friday, 16-Oct-2009 13:58:34 Eastern Daylight Time
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved.