The Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards have been presented annually since 1983 on the basis of
nominations from throughout the state. Awards are presented in two categories: Public Education and
Awareness, and Preservation Merit.
The Public Education and Awareness Award
Voyager Media Group for Sacred
Spaces, a documentary on Cincinnatiís churches, temples, and mosques.
Cleveland Artists Foundation and
AIA Cleveland for
Cleveland Goes Modern: Design for the Home 1930-1970, an exhibit and programs on
mid-20th century modern residential architecture, furnishings, and fine and decorative arts.
The Yellow Table Committee,
U.S. Postal Service, and
Parma Conservation for raising
public awareness and appreciation of the 1943 Waverly Post Office mural by Roy Best, Arrival of
the Packet "The Wave," and the process of conserving it.
Central State University for
raising awareness of its historic campus buildings and promoting the importance of preserving
them as evidence of the university's rich heritage and its legacy of higher education and
advancement of African Americans in Ohio and the nation.
The Preservation Merit Award
Greenacres Foundation and ATA
Beilharz Architects, LLC / Robert Powell Associates, Inc. for the rehabilitation and adaptive
use of the 1924 Julius Fleischmann House at 8400 Blome Rd. in Indian Hill as the Greenacres Art
Case Western Reserve University
Alumni Association, Richard
L. Bowen & Associates, Inc. and
Marous Brothers Construction
for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of 11310 Juniper Rd., Cleveland, as the Case Western
Reserve University Alumni House.
Emeritus House / Phillis Wheatley
Association, Famicos Foundation, Marous Brothers Construction, and
Robert P. Madison,
International, Inc., for the preservation and rehabilitation of the 1927 Phillis Wheatley
Association Building at 4450 Cedar Ave. in Cleveland.
House of Blues, MRN Limited
Partnership, Cooper Carey, Inc., Benjamin D. Rickey & Co., City Architecture, and
DAS Construction Company
for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the former Woolworth store at Fourth and Euclid
in downtown Cleveland as the House of Blues.
Shaker Heights School District,
Shaker Schools Foundation, and
City Architecture for the
rehabilitation of the 1931 Shaker Heights High School Auditorium.
Columbus City Schools, the
Columbus Board of Education, and
the Columbus Landmarks Foundation
for their leadership and collaboration in identifying and rehabilitating the cityís historic
school buildings as 21st century learning environments while preserving their historic character.
Columbus City Schools, the
Columbus Board of Education, the
Ohio School Facilities Commission,
Ricciuti Balog Harris for
preserving and rehabilitating the 1893 Ohio Avenue Elementary School
at 505 S. Ohio Ave. in Columbus as a 21st century learning environment.
Columbus Neighborhood Design
Asebrook & Co. Architects and
The Durable Restoration Company
for preserving and restoring the National Historic Landmark Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker House at 1336
E. Livingston Ave. in Columbus.
Southeast Priority Board and
Matrix Architects for the
rehabilitation and adaptive use of the historic Carnegie Library at 2160 E. Fifth St. in Dayton.
Sandusky County Commissioners and
Poggemeyer Design Group, Inc.
for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the historic Sandusky County Jail and Sheriff's
Residence as county offices.
Trumbull County Engineer's Office
and The Righter Company, Inc.,
for the preservation and rehabilitation of the historic Newton Falls Covered Bridge.
Paul J. Ricciuti, FAIA, for his
over 40 years of service as an advocate for, and practitioner of, preservation and adaptive use of
David Tschantz and the
Camp Tuscazoar Foundation for
preserving and restoring the 1869 Zoarville Station Bridge, the last remaining Fink Truss bridge
in the United States.
For a list of past Ohio Historic Preservation Office
Award recipients click here.