Preservation Merit Award to the Sandusky County Commissioners and Poggemeyer Design Group,
Inc., for the adaptive use of the historic Sandusky County Jail and Sheriff’s Residence as
Because Ohio’s combination county jails and sheriff’s residences are outmoded as a building type,
but almost always architectural landmarks, preserving them has been an issue for years. The
rehabilitated Sandusky County Jail is a good example of how one county has preserved this 19th
century building type and adapted it to meet modern needs. Located near the Sandusky County
Courthouse, the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The cornerstone was
laid in 1890 during a ceremony presided over by Rutherford B. Hayes. After a new jail was completed
in 1989, the old one stood vacant until 2003, when the Sandusky County Commissioners needed more
space and pursued the feasibility of restoring the old County Jail for office use. Architectural
design consultant Poggemeyer Design Group followed the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards
for Rehabilitation in preserving the 19th century character of the building while creating modern
offices and court facilities. The project included restoring the exterior and the significant
interior features; installing a new elevator and new restrooms to meet the Americans with
Disabilities Act and the Ohio Basic Building Code; and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing
upgrades. The County supplemented funds needed to finance the project with an appropriation from
the State of Ohio, Community Development Block Grant Funds, and Solid Waste and Disposal Funds for
use of recycled materials.
to return to the list of 2008 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.
for a list of past Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.