Link to Online Collection Catalog
Link to OHS HOME page
Link to CONTACT OHS page
Link to OHIO HISTORY STORE website
Link to OHS CALENDAR page
Link to OHS PLACES page
Link to OHS RESOURCES page
Link to the ABOUT OHS page
Link to SEARCH OHS page
Return to OHS 
Home Ohio Historic 
Preservation Office Awards title banner
link to Preservation Site Index link to Preservation Site Map link to Preservation Staff link to Related Links link to Contact Us page

2008 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award Recipients

Preservation Merit Award to Columbus City Schools, the Columbus Board of Education, the Ohio School Facilities Commission, and Ricciuti Balog Harris, for preserving and rehabilitating the 1893 Ohio Avenue Elementary School at 505 S. Ohio Ave. in Columbus as a 21st century learning environment.


If James Thurber returned to his hometown today, he’d still recognize the Ohio Avenue School, thanks to Columbus City Schools, the Columbus Board of Education, the Ohio School Facilities Commission, and Ricciuti Balog Harris. Thurber is among the many former students of Ohio Avenue, which is the first of the district’s historic school renovations to be completed. The finished building fuses 19th century architecture with a 21st century learning environment where today’s students are prepared for the future. When this project started, Ohio Avenue School consisted of the 1893 building, which is a neighborhood landmark; a 1950 addition; and a 1967 wing. The plan initially called for the 1893 building to be renovated, the 1950 addition to be retained, and the 1967 wing to be demolished. After further thought, the architects suggested a new plan: demolishing the 1950 wing, retaining the 1967 one, and building a connector in between to expose the 1893 south entrance that had been hidden since 1950 and create a new dining area. The renovated 1967 wing houses a new administrative area, providing a secured entrance to the school. A new canopy using vintage design motifs marks the entrance, and the addition now has a pitched roof that complements the original building. In addition to the offices, it houses two kindergarten rooms, a media center, and gym. The original building has 14 large classrooms that combine 21st century technology with 19th century character, including vintage pressed metal ceilings and maple floors. Adjoining cloakrooms now house tutoring and ‘cubbies’ space. The lower level has been redesigned for new music, art, and special education rooms. The entire complex has new electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems, new furnishings, and the latest 21st century technology.

2008 Awards 
Presentation Image. Click to view slides of the awards presentation.

Click here to return to the list of 2008 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.

Click here for a list of past Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.


Thank you for your interest in The Ohio Historical Society!

Back to Top


HOME || CONTACT

OHIO HISTORY STORE || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || ABOUT || SEARCH || PRIVACY POLICY
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/histpres/programs/ard/2008/ard2008-07.html || Last modified Wednesday, 26-Nov-2008 08:45:06 Eastern Standard Time
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved.