Preservation Merit Award to Case Western Reserve University Alumni Association,
Richard L. Bowen & Associates, Inc. and Marous Brothers Construction for the
rehabilitation and adaptive use of 11310 Juniper Rd., Cleveland, as the Case Western Reserve
University Alumni House.
A 1911 house in the heart of Cleveland’s University Circle is Case Western’s new “home away from
home” for visiting alumni. Used as offices since the 1950s, it had been altered over the years
without regard for history or preservation, so a lot of work was needed. Richard L. Bowen &
Associates partnered with Marous Brothers Construction as the design-build team, tackling the
challenges of converting the single-family home to institutional use by meeting early-on with code
and fire officials. The result is a building that meets all of the city’s requirements, yet
preserves the character and appeal of the original. First floor features were restored, including
the staircase, reception area, library, and living room. The kitchen was returned to its original
use, with custom cabinets, tile flooring, and stainless steel appliances. The second floor is an
open-office environment and conference room for the Alumni Director and staff, and the third floor
houses work space and a business center for alumni. To accommodate visitors with disabilities, an
elevator, wheelchair ramp, and ADA-compliant restrooms were worked into the existing house.
Outside, the brick walls and slate roof were repaired, and new landscaping enhances the
site. The $2 million project was accomplished on a tight schedule -- the site was chosen in
December 2006, and the new Alumni House opened 10 months later, during Alumni Week.
to return to the list of 2008 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.
for a list of past Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients.