Nottingham-Sprik Design Associates, City Architecture and Historic Preservation
Consultant Ted Sande
Completed in 1931 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, First Church of Christ,
Scientist, is one of Cleveland’s most beautiful landmarks, but a shrinking congregation could no
longer sustain it. Sale to a new owner could have led to demolition because of the valuable
hillside site. Instead, it became the new headquarters of the industrial design firm
Nottingham-Spirk. The new owners were able to see beyond the original use. They have united the
history and character of the building with the high-tech sophistication essential to their business,
resulting in a dramatic work environment designed to reflect the creativity of its owners. The old
sanctuary now houses the Nottingham-Spirk design studio, a soaring space that fosters creativity,
inspiration, and innovation. The project included restoring original fixtures and finishes;
reconfiguring the sloped floor; and transforming the balconies into space for incubator companies
and audio-visual presentations. The Sunday School was converted into a prototype-production lab,
with a low-key addition providing space for large machinery and equipment. What sets the center
apart is its ability to serve a high-tech business while embracing the evidence of its history.
The rehabilitation made use of the federal Rehabilitation Investment Tax Credit offered through the
Ohio Historic Preservation Office.
For a list of past Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award recipients
The Ohio Historic Preservation Office is Ohio's official historic preservation agency. A part of
the Ohio Historical Society, it identifies historic places in Ohio, nominates properties to the
National Register of Historic Places, reviews federally-assisted projects for effects on Ohio's
historic, architectural, and archaeological resources, consults on the conservation of older
buildings and sites, and offers educational programs and publications.