Link to Online Collection Catalog
Link to OHS HOME page
Link to CONTACT OHS page
Link to OHIO HISTORY STORE website
Link to OHS CALENDAR page
Link to OHS PLACES page
Link to OHS RESOURCES page
Link to the ABOUT OHS page
Link to SEARCH OHS page
Return to OHS Home Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards title banner
link to Preservation Site Index link to Preservation Site Map link to Preservation Staff link to Related Links link to Contact Us page

2005 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award Recipients

City of Springdale receives award
City of Springdale

In 1801, Springdale Presbyterian Church acquired land at the south end of Springdale along what is now State Route 4, where members built a church and platted a cemetery. The church moved to a new site in 1833, but the old cemetery remained in use until the 1950s, and then fell into neglect. No longer having the means to maintain it, the church transferred ownership of the cemetery with its 739 graves to the City of Springdale in 1987. The City began a long restoration process. One of the first steps was to find the property lines by removing overgrown vegetation and, in turn, uncovering many forgotten graves. Once the site had been cleared, hundreds of loads of topsoil were brought in to help level the ground. In 1989, the City combined a Community Development grant with money from the City's general fund to buy and install a new iron fence around the cemetery. The most challenging and time-consuming task, however, has been restoring and resetting hundreds of grave markers that were broken or toppled. The Public Works Department repaired and reset each of the markers one by one, aided at times by volunteers. Today, Old St. Mary's Cemetery is a proud part of the history of the Mill Creek Valley. On Memorial Day and the Fourth of July the City marks the graves of nine Revolutionary War veterans, 12 Civil War veterans, and one World War I veteran with American flags and larger flags line the edge of the old cemetery facing public streets. The restored cemetery is a demonstration of the City of Springdale's dedication and commitment to preserving its history.



Thank you for your interest in The Ohio Historical Society!

Back to Top


HOME || CONTACT

OHIO HISTORY STORE || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || ABOUT || SEARCH || PRIVACY POLICY
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/histpres/programs/Springdale.html || Last modified Tuesday, 18-Jul-2006 09:34:11 Eastern Daylight Time
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved.