Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Columbus Dispatch Photograph Collection as a gift of The Dispatch Printing Company, Inc., through the auspices of managing editor Carl DeBloom, in May 1977. Melissa Lee and Jeff Lashley processed the collection in June 1979. Marjorie J. Myers revised the inventory in December 1982.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property rights to this collection.
Copyrights: The Dispatch Printing Company, Inc. has dedicated such copyrights it possesses in this collection to the public. Consideration of all other copyrights is the responsibility of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the Ohio Historical Society.
Reproductions: Any published reproduction of the property shall carry the credit line: Ohio Historical Society/Columbus Dispatch.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name, collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all footnote and bibliographic references.
Related material: Columbus Dispatch negative collections, N-18-G, N-26-N, and N-28-S, audiovisual section.
Historical chronology - Columbus Dispatch:
1871: Incorporated by William Trevitt Jr., Samuel Bradford, Timothy McMahon, James O'Donnell, Peter Johnson, L.P. Stephens, John M. Webb, J.S.B. Owen, C.M. Morris, and Willoughby W. Webb
Scope and content: The Columbus Dispatch Photograph Collection dates from 1890 to 1970 and occupies one and one-quarter cubic feet. The majority of photos were taken by Walter D. Nice (1884-1966) during his fifty-two year career as staff photographer. The photographs are arranged in alphabetical order by subject.
1874-1876: Sold to Captain John H. Putnam and Dr. G.A. Doran; acquired Associated Press franchise
1876-1882: Sold to Captain L.D. Meyers and William D. Brickell
1882-1903: Meyers appointed postmaster, sold out to Brickell; changed from weekly to daily edition, added a Sunday edition; moved from High Street and Lynn Alley to High Street and Gay Street
1903: Sold to J.J. Gill and Harry Alexander
1905: Robert F. and Harry P. Wolfe hold controlling stock interest
1907-1910: Dispatch building burned down; located at 34-38 North High Street until new building completed
Sources: Hooper, Osman Castle, The History of the City of Columbus; Ayer's Directory of Publications, 1982.
The photographs record life in Columbus, Ohio, primarily from 1915 to 1945 including buildings, landmarks, thoroughfares, citizens, and daily occurrences. Items depict local and national personalities, local activities during World War I, and noteworthy news events of the day. Also included is the text of Andrew Denny Rodgers "Founders and Founding of Columbus," as well as other historic pieces. The collection provides a fairly comprehensive view of the growth and activity in Columbus during the first half of the Twentieth Century.