The Ohio Historical Center houses a non-circulating
- Includes photographs, posters, films, slides,
postcards, audio recordings, videotape. Card
catalog for SC (small picture) collections
and inventories to some audiovisual collections
are available for use in the Research Room.
Of State Tax Duplicates. 1801 - 1838.
- Only the Ohio tax lists from 1800-1810,
1812, 1825, have been indexed completely,
although certain other lists have been partially
indexed. Usually arranged by county and township.
May include: name, county, range, township
and section numbers, number of acres held,
name of the original owner, the name of the
nearest watercourse, the amount of taxes paid.
County History Collection.
- An extensive collection of Ohio county
histories. Many of these books either have
every-name indexes, or are collectively indexed
by the Ohio County History Surname Index.
County History Surname Index.
- The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) compiled this index between
1928 and 1936. It covers Ohio county histories, atlases, and other sources.
Microfilm of the index is available through InterLibrary
Directories (City And County).
- For many Ohio cities and counties.
- Approximately 2,500 published family histories.
Some unpublished family histories are listed
in the manuscripts card catalog.
- An extensive collection of Ohio and national
periodicals, most indexed by year.
Local Government Records.
- Many original local government records
from the counties of central Ohio including:
Court of Common Pleas, land, tax, birth, death,
- Papers of individuals and families, and
records of private organizations. Primary
subjects covered include the Northwest Territory
and early statehood, the Civil
War, religion, temperance and prohibition,
blacks, women, labor, politics, social history.
A manuscripts card catalog and inventories
to manuscript collections are available for
use in the Research Room.
Maps And Atlases.
- For most Ohio counties and major Ohio cities.
A map catalog is available for use in the
Research Room and atlases are listed in the
printed material card catalog.
- For scattered Ohio newspapers. Categories
include: general indexes, obituaries, death,
marriage, genealogical articles.
Records For Ohio.
- The State Archives maintains records of
many state agencies. The largest quantity
of records in the State Archives are found
in four record groups:
Additional Sources of Information
- For still more sources of information outside
the Ohio Historical Society, see