The Ohio Historical Center houses a non-circulating research archives/library — The only material that we loan through ILL is some of our microfilm.
AVAILABLE through Interlibrary Loan
- Newspaper microfilm — (search our Ohio Newspaper Database).
We can loan newspapers that have MICROFILM ROLL NUMBERS. Any newspapers that are labelled with an "N" number and volume designation have not been microfilmed, and are not available for loan.
- Some other printed material on microfilm.
- Microfilm of manuscript collections for which OHS holds the original material.
UNAVAILABLE through Interlibrary Loan
- Printed material (not on microfilm)
- Manuscript material (not on microfilm)
- Microfilm manuscript collections for which the Ohio Historical Society does not hold the original material
- Government record microfilm, such as census, marriage, or naturalization records
- Copies from newspapers. Due to time constraints, OHS staff cannot provide copies of specific newspaper articles or obituaries, nor can they do research in newspapers. Photocopies of other types of indexed, printed materials may be obtained by following these guidelines for reference requests. If you require more extensive research, and are unable to visit the Ohio Historical Society, these persons have indicated an interest in doing Ohio research for a fee.
How to Order
We accept requests for borrowing microfilm by the following methods:
- OCLC (preferred)
- regular mail (see address below)
- FAX (see FAX number below)
Requests that are mailed or faxed to us must be on your library letterhead or another official form, so that we know that the request is coming from the library, rather than directly from the patron.
Fees and Other Policies
Our fee for loaning microfilm to U.S. libraries is $5.00 per roll. The loan fee for non-U.S. libraries is calculated based on actual mailing costs. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a price quote.
- We accept payment via OCLC IFM or by check or money order.
Checks should be made out to the Ohio Historical Society.
- The loan period is 28 days.
- Loaned material must be kept in the borrowing library at all
times during the loan.
- A library may have a maximum of 10 microfilm rolls from us at
- One renewal for up to 28 days is allowed, unless other
researchers have requested the material. There is no charge to renew a
Ohio Historical Society
800 E. 17th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43211
email us at email@example.com
Guidelines for offsite reference and vital records requests, see http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/refemail.html