Birth records in Ohio
- Before 1867
- Ohio did not make it a law to keep death records until 1867.
- 1867 through December 19, 1908
- Ohio made it a law to record deaths in 1867. County probate courts
kept death records between 1867 and December 19, 1908. There is no statewide
index to death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908. Go
to the list of county probate court death records held at the Ohio Historical
Society. If the Ohio Historical Society does not hold a county's
death records, please contact the county's probate court. A list of
county courthouse contacts is available at Ohio
County Courthouse Addresses.
- December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953
- The state of Ohio began issuing certificates for deaths on December 20, 1908. The Ohio Historical Society holds death certificates for the entire state of Ohio from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953
You may wish to visit our online Ohio Death Certificate
Index for 1913-1937.
- January 1, 1954 to the present
- Death certificates from 1954 to the present are held by the Ohio Department of Health. You should contact the Ohio Department of Health at the address below for information concerning their request procedures.
Ohio Department of Health
Division of Vital Statistics
PO Box 15098
Columbus, OH 43215-0098
- Guidelines for requesting death certificates
- When making a request for an Ohio death certificate between December
20, 1908 through December 31, 1944, please see the instructions for
death certificate requests.
- Guidelines for requesting death records
- Before making a request for a death record that occurred between 1867
through December 19, 1908, please confirm that we hold records for the
county and time period by reviewing County Death
Records Held at the Ohio Historical Society. Death record requests
that are submitted with a county, name of deceased, and exact year of
death are processed by our staff as COPY
REQUESTS. The county where the death was registered and the name
of the deceased must be provided, but our staff will search a 10 year
time frame if the exact year of death is unknown. Death record requests
that are submitted with a county, name of deceased, and a time frame
within the 10 year span are processed by our staff as RESEARCH
REQUESTS. A complete description of all request policies can be
reviewed at Guidelines for Offsite Copy and