A SHORT CHRONOLOGY
The War of 1812 in the Northwest
1812--EXPEDITION AGAINST MISSISSINIWAY, November 25.
1812, November 25. EXPEDITION AGAINST MISSISSINIWAY. This is led by
Lt. Col. John B. Campbell. On this day the troops leave
Franklinton. The detachment is composed of Colonel Simrall's dragoons,
a squadron of cavalry under Major Ball, Elliott's Company of U.S.
Infantry, Alexanders 12 months volunteer riflemen, and Butler's company
of Pittsburgh volunteers. All men are mounted; a total of 600. They
go to Dayton, thence to Greenville. They leave this latter place on
December 14th for the Indian towns, 80 miles distant. On the 16th they
decide to attack the villages early the next morning. They take the first
village that very night with little resistance as most of the Indians are
gone. On the 17th they take Silver Heel's Town and destroy everything.
They encamp on the Mississiniway River. An attack made on the major
village on the 18th. In this battle 8 men are killed and 48 wounded.
They then return to Greenville. As a result of this expedition, the
Delaware tribe on white River and others in the region accept peace
terms and come within the American frontiers.
1813--GENERAL HARRISON'S SECOND CAMPAIGN AND THE FIRST SIEGE OF FT. MEIGS
1813, January 22. GENERAL HARRISON'S SECOND CAMPAIGN AND THE FIRST SIEGE OF FT. MEIGS. After hearing of Winchester's defeat,
Harrison calls a staff meeting to decide upon future movements. It was
concluded to retire a short way in the rear on the road from the Rapids
and to keep the British from attacking that place. Supply lines to be
kept open from Sandusky. [Winchester's camp had been on the north side
of the river, an injudicious place.]
1813, January 30. General Leftwich arrives at the Portage River with
his brigade, a regiment of Pennsylvania troops, and most of the
1813, February. Ft. Meigs is begun. The camp is 2500 yards in circum-
ference, all picketed with timbers 15 feet long, with three
feet in the ground, except at the blockhouses and batteries. The timbers
are 10-12 inches thick. Blockhouses are of double timbers. Colonel
Eleazer Wood is in charge of the construction.
1813, February 1. General Harrison marches with his entire force of 1700
men to the Rapids, encamps on the southwest side of the river
and orders all the troops in the rear to join him.
1813, February 3. The governor of Kentucky (Shelby) signs an act to call
out 3,000 militiamen, most of which are to relieve troops
already in the field.
1813, February 9. General Harrison had planned an attack upon Malden over
the frozen lake. However, the ice is so thin that he cannot
do it. A trial of the ice is made this day.
1813, February 11. General Harrison sends a dispatch to the Secretary of
War telling him that the campaign for the winter is over.
The Secretary of War wants Harrison to discharge all of the militia and
depend wholly upon federal troops for the rest of the winter. Harrison
refuses. He returns to Cincinnati and leaves General Leftwich in charge
Previous Page || Index || Next Page