Link to Online Collection Catalog
Link to OHS HOME page
Link to CONTACT OHS page
Link to OHIO HISTORY STORE website
Link to OHS CALENDAR page
Link to OHS PLACES page
Link to OHS RESOURCES page
Link to the ABOUT OHS page
Link to SEARCH OHS page
OHS Online Home
Fundamental Documents of Ohio

FUNDAMENTAL
DOCUMENTS


ARCHIVES/
LIBRARY


ONLINE
RESEARCH
TOOLS

ONLINE
DOCUMENTS

ONLINE
SERVICES

A SHORT CHRONOLOGY
The War of 1812 in the Northwest

1812--WINCHESTER'S CAMPAIGN, October 2-November, early.

1812, October 2. General Harrison hears from General Winchester that the British have retreated. He orders General Barbee to return to St. Mary's and Colonel Poague to cut a road from Ft. Jennings to Ft. Defiance. The rest of the army continues its march in five columns, about 1,000 men. Harrison arrives at Winchester's camp and finds the troops disgusted and dispirited. Ft. Winchester is laid out near old Ft. Defiance and is built by a detachment of 250 men under the orders of Major Joseph Robb. Harrison then returns to St. Mary's with Colonel R. M. Johnson, where these troops are discharged October 7th. Colonel Poague is ordered to return to the Ottawa Towns, about 12 miles above St. Mary's and there to erect a fort (Ft. Amanda). General Winchester receives the command of the left wing of the Northwest Army from Harrison.

1812, October 4. Before Harrison left Defiance, he ordered General Edward Tupper to take all of his 800 mounted men down the Maumee to the Rapids and even farther if he should find it necessary to disperse the enemy. He was to return to Ft. Defiance or the Ottawa Towns on Blanchard's Fork. He was supposed to leave October 5, but an alarm in camp occasioned by the sighting of some Indians across the river who fire into the American camp keep him at Ft. Defiance.

1812, October 6. General Edward Tupper send Logan and six other Indians down the river to reconnoitre. General Winchester orders Tupper to advance, but Tupper says he is awaiting the return of his spies. When his spies come back they report seeing only about 50 Indians.

1812, October 7. General Tupper wants to go to the Rapids by way of the Ottawa Towns on Blanchard's Fork; his force is considerably hurt when about 300 mounted riflemen, whose terms had run out and who were disgusted with Tupper, leave the camp for home.

1812, October 8. General Winchester orders Colonel Slimrall to return to the Ohio settlements with his mounted regiment to recruit his horses. Orders are given to General Tupper to begin his expedition, but many of the men did not want to serve under Tupper. Colonel Allen tenders his services to Tupper in any capacity they would be received. General Winchester misunderstands Allen's wishes and directs him to take the command and march to the Rapids. Allen tells Winchester of the mistake and the order is withdrawn. Meanwhile, most of the men have refused to march directly to the Rapids and General Tupper marches them to the Auglaize, thence to the Ottawa Towns, where he tells them that reinforcements are on their way from Ohio. At this point, the troops, except for about 200, refuse to continue to the Rapids. Tupper then proceeds by the most direct route to Urbana and discharges only those who have been willing at all times to obey. For this Tupper is court-martialed by Winchester. Meanwhile, Tupper has marched his remaining force as far as McArthur's fort on Hull's trace and the court martial is delayed. When the court is held later, Tupper is acquitted.

1812, November, early. General Tupper sends a spy company under Captain Hinkston to reconnoitre the Rapids. There the captain discovers a British captain named Clarke and takes him prisoner. He reports that there were 3-400 Indians and 75 British at the Rapids to gather corn.

Previous Page || Index || Next Page


HOME || CONTACT

OHIO HISTORY STORE || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || ABOUT || SEARCH || PRIVACY POLICY
http://www.ohiohistory.org/onlinedoc/war1812/chronology/0013.html || Last modified Tuesday, 26-Jul-2005 12:23:35 Eastern Daylight Time
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved.