Lesson Plan: McCarthyism
Author: Dwayne Marshall, Crystal Bartley, Mike Coder, Gary Kleptach, Debbie Harry
Benchmarks and Indicators
- History 9-10, Benchmark F: Identify major historical patterns in the domestic affairs of the United States during the 20th century and explain their significance.
- Indicator: Grade 10, GLI 12. Explain major domestic developments after 1945 with emphasis on: b. McCarthyism.
Students will be introduced to McCarthyism and be able to discuss how McCarthy fueled the Red Scare and eventually discredited. Students will analyze and interpret political cartoons relating to McCarthyism.
Quiz to review important terms and assess student prior knowledge.
- Pre-assessment: Quiz to review important terms and assess student prior knowledge.
- IntroductionUnited Streaming video clip to introduce Senator Joseph McCarthy and McCarthyism.
- Brief lectureProvide more information on McCarthy and McCarthyism.
- Group ActivityStudents will be put into groups and given a political cartoon to analyze and interpret using a cartoon analysis worksheet.
- Post-assessmentStudent presentation of analysis and discussion.
- ClosingHigher level questioning, including:
- Discussion connecting McCarthyism to the present day Islamic profiling
- Discussion about McCarthys ability to use the cloak of immunity to make these accusations on the floor of Congress and if he would have been able to do so without this immunity.
Political Cartoon Analysis Worksheet presentation and discussion of this worksheet will assess student understanding of McCarthyism.