Primary Source Activities: Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company's Blackburn Plat
Author: Freda Hanf
Allow students, in groups or individually, to examine the primary source linked under Resources to the right, while answering the questions below in order. The questions are designed to guide students into a deeper analysis of the source and sharpen associated cognitive skills.
Level I: Description
1. How many homes were in each building?
2. Which of the following would best describe the rooms in a home:
- A. Living room, kitchen, bathroom, 1 bedroom
- B. Living room, kitchen, bathroom, 2 bedrooms
- C. Dining room, living room, kitchen, bathroom, 2 bedrooms
- D. Dining room, living room, kitchen, bathroom, 3 bedrooms
Level II: Interpretation
1. The Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company has these homes built. Who do you think will be living in them?
Level III: Analysis
1. Why do you think these homes were so small?
- History 9-10, Benchmark B: Explain the social, political and economic effects of industrialization.
- Indicator: Grade 10, GLI 2. Analyze the impact of industrialization and the modern corporation in the United States on economic and political practices with emphasis on: c. Standard of living.