Primary Source Activities: Eddie Rickenbacker Photograph
Author: Matt Doran
Allow students, in groups or individually, to examine the primary source linked under Resources to the right, while answering the questions below in order. The questions are designed to guide students into a deeper analysis of the source and sharpen associated cognitive skills.
Level I: Description
1. List the objects and people you see in the photograph.
2. What is occupation of the man in the photograph?
3. Describe the physical appearance of the man in the photograph.
Level II: Interpretation
1. About what time period was this photograph taken?
2. What clues are there in the photograph that indicate the time period?
3. What clues in the photograph indicate that this pilot is in the military?
Level III: Analysis
1. Based on this pilot's physical appearance and occupation, what inferences can you make about his personality?
2. Based on your estimate of the time period of this photograph, assess the impact of the airplane on warfare at this time.
- History 9-10, Benchmark D: Connect developments related to World War I with the onset of World War II.
- Grade 9, GLI 7. Analyze the causes and effects of World War I with emphasis on: c. The role of new technologies and practices including the use of poison gas, trench warfare, machine guns, airplanes, submarines and tanks.