Primary Source Activities: Irish Cultural Garden Dedication
Author: Krista Buckley
Allow students, in groups or individually, to examine the primary source linked under Resources to the right, while answering the questions below in order. The questions are designed to guide students into a deeper analysis of the source and sharpen associated cognitive skills.
Level I: Description
1. Describe what is happening in this photograph?
2. When did this event take place?
Level II: Interpretation
1. What can you say about the people in this photograph?
2. Will you state or interpret in your own words what you think is taking place in the photograph?
Level III: Analysis
1. What questions would you ask in an interview with a person in this photograph?
2. What is the relationship between the people and the garden?
- History 9-10, Benchmark B: Explain the social, political and economic effects of industrialization.
- Indicator: Grade 10, GLI 1. Explain the effects of industrialization in the United States in the 19th century including: b. Immigration and child labor and their impact on the labor force.