Primary Source Activities: Taylorsville Construction Camp Store Photograph
Author: John Bowers
Allow students, in groups or individually, to examine the primary source linked under Resources to the right, while answering the questions below in order. The questions are designed to guide students into a deeper analysis of the source and sharpen associated cognitive skills.
Level I: Description
1. What is pictured here?
2. Can you tell me when this picture was taken?
Level II: Interpretation
1. What kind of work do you think the men in the picture did?
2. What do you think the purpose of the items on the counter was?
Level III: Analysis
1. What does this photo tell you about the shopping experiences of people who lived at that time?
2. How does this store compare or contrast to ones that you shop in today?
- History 9-10, Benchmark B: Explain the social, political and economic effects of industrialization.
- Indicator: Grade 10, GLI 1. Explain the effects of industrialization in the United States in the 19th century including: a. Changes in work and the workplace; b. Immigration and child labor and their impact on the labor force.