In commemoration of Ohio’s founding, the Ohio Historical Society and its partners invite you to join a broad coalition of history advocates on Thursday, March 1 at the Ohio History Center in Columbus beginning at 9:30 a.m. As part of the celebration at the Ohio History Center, admission to the general public will be free on March 1.
Statehood Day is a celebration of Ohio and its history, as well as a legislative advocacy event. This year’s event will be a celebration of the persistent efforts of Ohio history advocates like you. In 2011, the Ohio General Assembly approved:
- The OHS income tax check-off was approved. The state’s 2011 income tax form will allow taxpayers receiving a refund on their state taxes to contribute a portion of their return to the Society. OHS will, in turn, use these contributions to create a new competitive matching grants program for history-related projects throughout Ohio.
- The state historic tax credit program that was initiated in 2006 was made permanent, with up to $60 million being authorized in annual credits to be awarded to qualified rehabilitation projects throughout Ohio. This successful program is administered as a partnership among the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, the Ohio Department of Development and the Ohio Department of Taxation.
Register for Statehood Day Today!
Call Toll-Free 877-393-4369 (Local Call 614-297-2326) or register online by clicking here. Join us on March 1 to not only celebrate our advocacy accomplishments but to also demonstrate to political leaders that Ohioans care deeply about their history and how appreciation of history helps create economic development opportunities statewide.
Statehood Day Featured Keynote Speaker:
Senator John Glenn - Former Ohio Sen. John Glenn will be the keynote speaker at lunchtime. Glenn is among the most well-known Ohioans – soldier, pilot, astronaut, corporate executive and 4-term U.S. senator. The John and Annie Glenn Historic Site and Exploration Center is located in New Concord where Glenn grew up. The home features galleries containing special childhood treasures and memorabilia from Senator Glenn’s military, political and space careers.
Special Statehood Day Message:
Governor John R. Kasich
The 2012 Statehood Day will feature:
- The announcement of a new grants program for history-related activities (funded through new OHS tax check-off)
- Remarks from former Sen. John Glenn
- Gov. John R. Kasich has also been invited to give remarks
- The original 1802 Ohio Constitution and other founding documents will be on display
- Lunch (paid registration required)
- Several demonstrations of Ohio History success stories
- Recognition of legislative successes
- Special performances relating to Ohio statehood
Statehood Day registration is $30. The registration fee includes lunch and event materials. If you are mailing your registration, make your check payable to the Ohio Historical Society, 800 E. 17th Ave., Columbus, OH 43211. For more information, contact Jerolyn Barbee at the Ohio Historical Society by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by calling toll-free 877-393-4369 (local call 614-297-2326). You may register online by clicking here.
Statehood Day is a joint effort among the
Ohio Historical Society,
the Ohio Academy of History,
the Ohio Archaeological Council,
the Ohio Local History Alliance,
the Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board,
the Ohio Genealogical Society,
the Ohio Council for Social Studies,
and the Society of Ohio Archivists.