Ohio Historic Preservation Office: Preserving Ohio's Historic Places
Throughout 2011, the Ohio Historic Preservation Office continued to help Ohioans identify, evaluate, register and protect their historic properties. The office has fulfilled this role since 1967 when the Ohio Historical Society was designated by the governor to manage responsibilities delegated to the state in the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. The map indicates the breadth of historic preservation activity throughout the state.
The Ohio Historic Preservation Offices works with individuals, organizations and agencies to:
- Prepare and distribute a state historic preservation plan.
- Identify historic places and archaeological sites.
- Nominate eligible properties to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Review significance, proposed and completed rehabilitation work on historic buildings for state and federal tax credits.
- Consult on publicly assisted projects for effects on historic, architectural, and archaeological resources.
- Qualify communities for Certified Local Government status and administer a grants program for them.
- Consult on the conservation of buildings and sites.
- Offer educational programs and publications.
Ohio Modern Initiative
The 1967 Fox-Kettering Theater in Kettering was one of 504 significant properties from the recent past documented in the Ohio Historic Inventory as part of the Ohio Modern initiative supported by a federal Preserve America grant as well as funding from the Ohio Department of Transportation, the Ohio Department of Development, Ohio Humanities Council, City of Dayton and the University of Dayton.
Tax Incentives for Historic Preservation
Akron’s Gothic Building, originally used for retail with apartments above, and recently rehabilitated for office and retail use, received final certification to qualify for the
Federal Historic Rehabilitation Investment Tax Credit and the Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit. In 2011, 36 projects received final certification for the federal credit and 10 projects for the state credit.
National Register of Historic Places
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the former Chalker High School, in Southington, Trumbull County, is one of 23 nominations, which include more than 400 properties, recognized in 2011 for their significance in Ohio history, architecture or archaeology.
Certified Local Governments
Avon Lake and Lakewood became Certified Local Governments in 2011 bringing the total number of Certified Local Government communities to 53. Both have local preservation programs in place that meet state and federal standards. Ten percent of each year’s Historic Preservation Fund grant to the society is set aside for competitive grants to Certified Local Governments. A grant to Cincinnati
helped update a citywide survey of historic buildings including the Elder House on Kenova Avenue.
Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards
Gordon and Lynn Bury were recognized for their longtime stewardship and preservation of the 1883 Ezekiel B. Zimmerman Octagon House in Marshallville with a 2010 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Award. This was one of eleven outstanding historic preservation achievements recognized with awards.
Consulting on Publicly Assisted Projects
The Ohio Historic Preservation Office reviewed rehabilitation work planned on the Washington Square apartment building in Steubenville, which was funded by Community Development Block Grant funds, to ensure that the work preserved the significance of the National Register-listed building.
The office reviews over 7,500 publicly assisted projects each year.
Inventories of Building and Sites
An archaeological site in Franklin County was identified during a survey in 2011. The
Ohio Archaeological Survey and the
Ohio Historic Inventory contain records on a combined 144,496 sites, buildings and structures. Locations and attribute data from these inventories along with National Register data are served to nearly 400 paid subscribers to the Ohio Historic Preservation Office Online Mapping System.
AmeriCorps Grant Identifies Historic Buildings
Under the society's phase I AmeriCorps grant in 2011, the Preservation Corps members conducted historic surveys in Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus. The Columbus Landmarks Foundation hosted member Jennifer Gariety who recorded mid-20th century properties in the Ohio Historic Inventory. The survey included post-war Cape Cod houses in Hanford Village, an eastside African-American neighborhood, home to several Tuskegee Airmen veterans. Preservation Ohio and Heritage Ohio each hosted a Preservation Corps member who worked in Mansfield and Columbus.
Building Doctor Clinics Held Throughout Ohio
The Ohio Historical Society’s Building Doctors teach old-building owners how to recognize and solve some of the most common sources of problems in maintaining older buildings, and how to make informed decisions about repairs and improvements. Each clinic begins with a free seminar and is followed by the Building Doctors making the rounds of ailing buildings to examine problems and prescribe cures. Six clinics were held in 2011 with total attendance of 275.
Highlight: $1.5 million in grants were awarded or paid to the Ohio Historic Preservation Office.
Grants Awarded to the Ohio Historic Preservation Office:
- 2011 Historic Preservation Fund Grant: $1,091,180.
- 2011 grant from Ohio Department of Transportation for project reviews: $115,000.
- 2011 grant from Ohio Department of Development for project reviews: $116,300.
- Preserve America Grant for "Ohio Modern: Preserving our Recent Past" to create a statewide historic context document on the modern period (1940-1970) and conduct an architectural survey in the Dayton area: $87,656.
- Ohio Department of Transportation grant for UTM Correction Project: $49,000.
- American Battlefield Protection Program grant to survey and determine boundaries for Revolutionary War and War of 1812 sites in Ohio was completed in 2011: $45,000.
- American Battlefield Protection Program grant to extend the National Register boundaries of the Buffington Island battlefield: $31,750. This project will be completed in 2012.
Grants and Contracts Awarded by the Ohio Historic Preservation Office:
$109,118 in grants were awarded to Certified Local Governments in 2011 under terms of the federal Historic Preservation Fund grant to the Society's Ohio Historic Preservation Office. Each year 10% of the federal funding is passed through to Certified Local Governments via a competitive matching grant program.
- A $20,931 CLG grant to the city of Columbus, being administered by the Columbus Compact Corporation, will result in a feasibility study and business plan for adaptive use of the Franklin Park Trolley Barn complex, located in the Near East Side Historic District.
- With a $9,000 CLG grant, the city of North Olmsted will conduct an intensive-level history/architecture survey of the Butternut Ridge Historic District.
- Rehabilitation efforts tied to the 1849 Henninger House in Parma will be aided by a $19,514 CLG grant to complete repointing on the stone building. Henninger House will eventually be a trailhead facility in the West Creek Preserve and Greenway that will link the West Creek Preserve to the National Heritage Corridor and the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath trail.
- Utilizing $14,175 in CLG funds, the City of Shaker Heights will develop a “Shaker Historical” mobile/smart phone app that creates a virtual tour of Shaker Heights historic landmarks with links to background history information, maps and other data.
- Rehabilitation will continue at the Green Lawn Cemetery Mausoleum in Columbus with a $17,175 grant to restore two bronze doors and carry out masonry repointing and repairs.
- The City of Steubenville will develop a historic preservation component for its citywide comprehensive master plan with a $15,000 CLG grant.
- Following on a previously funded feasibility study, the City of Green will utilize a $13,323 CLG grant to implement some of its recommendations by carrying out selective removal of non-historic additions to the Hartong House.
Contracts totaling $31,370 were awarded for projects to complete a historic context study of apartments buildings in Ohio ($16,370) and to complete a feasibility study on developing an online submission process for Ohio Historic Preservation Office programs ($15,000).